McAllen View...

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sports @ a Wine Lounge?




RUSH (Wine Tasting Lounge)

I'm so pleased to see another reference about RUSH! It's nice to know this local business is getting some good feedback, I certainly have had a really positive experience with them in my first couple of visits. A couple of nights ago, my significant other and I took advantage of his night off and combined a romantic dinner with (what else) the Houston - Portland basketball game.
Finishing our dinner, we headed over to a popular McAllen sports bar, but after waiting at our table for 15 minutes with no hope of service or acknowledgement, we'd given up on our "big date," and watching our favorite basketball team. Calling it a night, we started to drive home with me pouting in the passenger seat. (Don't judge me too harshly….that was our first date in months, and I was a wee bit disappointed! ;)
As we drove past RUSH, we decided to drop in so I could show my date McAllen's newest venue. A wine connoisseur, he rationalized that while we might not have the basketball game, we could console ourselves with good wine and use my newly acquired RUSH card. (The wine "fountains" in this venue pour out an ounce of wine by scanning your RUSH card and detracting the $ amt.- Very smooth! and it lets you spend the balance over multiple visits.)
A quiet Tuesday night, our recent experience at RUSH was phenomenal. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted and treated like guests in a posh, private home, not diners at a crowded restaurant. The best part was: there were even flat-screen TVs, and the owner happily put the Houston game on for us. Cute date, wine, basketball game, and 1 classy atmosphere coming right up! Our night had instantly corrected itself.
The service was amazing, and the final bill was surprisingly low. (the card helps!) As I sat on the leather couch watching our own screen and sipping on a beer (ironically I wasn't in the mood for wine, but the venue has lots of beer and sangria options, too), I felt like we had just discovered a new secret. I had never felt so comfortably elegant while watching a sports game or had my own personal pair of cocktail waitresses. There was complimentary wi-fi, making it the perfect spot for business professionals looking to wrap up their day or host a client. The venue has just the right balance of sophistication and comfort. Wanting to be intimate or conversational? …socializing or working? ….RUSH offers a great blended atmosphere.
So Thank you RUSH, for saving my semi-annual date night. The Rockets may not have won that night, but we sure did!

*FYI: learned the hard way- RUSH is closed Mondays. :(
**Typically a great, quiet niche during the week, starting Thursday RUSH becomes a popular social outlet for young and established business professionals and wine "buffs".

No comments:

Post a Comment