McAllen View...

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Last Saturday my family set out for "the Great Hunt." This is an annual tradition involving a dear friend, his wife and inlaws, who have hosted us for the last 40 years for a day of dove hunting at their farm here in the Valley. Dove hunting used to be one of the main economic issues in the Rio Grande Valley back in the days when agriculture was the main enterprise here. Up until just a few years ago, the Texas Department of Fish and Wildlife used to come to my Rotary club every August to let us know what the anticipated numbers would be of mourning and white wing doves. Now, dove hunting is just one of the many "engines" that push our economy. But the doves are still here in abundance and we get lots of hunters every September from all over including my son from San Antonio who is now showing his son "the ropes" just like I showed him. I'm embarassed to say that everybody got more game than I did. I need to practice before next year.

So, if you like hunting, fishing, or birdwatching, give us a call and we can make it happen for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment