McAllen View...

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

McAllen Prepares for Thousands of Baptist Attendees...


McAllen Host BGCT Representatives
as they plan for THOUSANDS to gather in our tropical city!

Committed to hosting the Baptist General Convention of Texas (BGCT) annual conference in McAllen Texas
, several staff members will be flying in (from Dallas) to join us for a couple of days of intense planning and tours. Meeting with community and church leaders of the valley, these individuals will be cementing details for their much anticipated annual BGCT conference, scheduled to be hosted at the McAllen Convention Center in November of 2010! While certainly a "business trip," we certainly know how to camouflage the work obligations by adding great dining on local cuisine, tours of local venues, and an overall "spoiling" experience. I'm looking forward to sharing the palm-tree dotted horizon, local dining and music, and – of course- our outstanding growth!
My favorite part of hosting these pre-event (or selection) site visits is the expressions of our guests, as they see our McAllen Convention Center for the first time. Though I've seen it countless times by now, I still LOVE the impact of driving onto the circular drive and passing the beautiful reflection pool and landscaping. A modern day structure, the breathtaking convention center blends our tropical landscaping and modern amenities to give McAllen's events a (BIG) state-of-the-art venue.
Whether or not my guests have a need for the convention center, I can't help but take a detour to this building and gladly accept their immediate request to walk around inside. From the towering palm trees (and yes their real!) inside the east entrance lobby to the monarch butterfly (larger-than-life) chandelier in the popular ballrooms, you can't help but nod your head in appreciation. As I've spend more time in tours, my curiosity has been stirred by guest's questions, and I find myself excitedly sharing my discoveries of this building's unique details – training myself not to talk over the official guide in my excited chatter. ;). What can I say? It truly is a landmark, not only for McAllen, but Texas. For me, it epitomizes the progress and commitment of our city; making McAllen a unique contender in today's market!
While here BGCT staff will also be visiting with local hotels and event venues. You might think that finding accommodations for over 800 rooms a night would be the hardest part, but with a genuinely amazing staff at our McAllen hotels, I'm finding the hardest part is squeezing in as many local restaurants and venues as I can in 24 hours! Because there's so much to share with these planners as they prepare, it's more difficult to narrow down what we can offer! Looking forward to recruiting, yet a few more, McAllen fans! Oh and, here's to the palm trees looking tall and perky, the tropical breeze switched on, and the jalapeños sharp! (That recipe never fails!) I'll keep you posted. jo

No comments:

Post a Comment