McAllen View...

Thursday, May 28, 2009

What do McAllen-ites DO for fun? (A Local's Guide to Having Fun!)


Someone asked me the popular question, "What do McAllen-nites Do?", and while I usually freeze-up or start to mumble, I decided to take the question to heart, and it got me thinking. I have decided to create a TOP 25 list highlighting McAllen-ites past-time favorites, traditions, and activities. (A sort of "local's guide to enjoying McAllen"). Feel free to shoot me an email @ jsimpson@mcallencvb.com to help me add to the list and/or if you would like more details about any of my favorite activities.

Note: Rather then overwhelm you, I have decided to break this list down into a 5 part series, and update the blog weekly with five activities I love doing as a McAllen-ite (in no particular order – of course). Enjoy! I know I am!

Part 1 of 5 What McAllen-ites Do:


1. I take every chance I get to be outside. What’s better than enjoying live music, good cuisine, and a tropical breeze on a McAllen night at one of our many venues that offer outdoor patio seating. Whether it’s a casual or formal evening, there is a venue for each of my needs….and the best part is – I get to do this year round! (Outdoor seating is a must for McAllen venues!)

2. Taking day trips to South Padre Island and ending the evening with a FRESH seafood dinner before heading back to McAllen. Its so convenient and I love living so close to the ocean- breeze, water, palm trees, and all!

3. Spending my evenings downtown at our new Entertainment District. With everything from sophisticated and relaxed dining to "dives", pubs, and piano bars, McAllen's downtown is becoming an eclectic scene similar to Austin's "6th street," with its own valley flair and character. I love that we have so many live music and entertainment options and, of course, people watching on 17th street (the Entertainment District) is probably my personal favorite.

4. Relaxing and visiting at any one of our family-owned coffee/wine venues like Art Expressions, Moonbeans, Roosevelts, Wine. House. With local art, unique drink options, and an eclectic group of folks, it's much more personal and relaxing than a chain coffee shop and it feels so authentic and inviting.

5. SHOPPING! Sure, McAllen is home to La Plaza Mall (Simon Mall), which is the #1 U.S. shopping destination for Mexico. And sure, the popular and/or high-end chain stores are quickly multiplying and overlapping to meet the demands of our visitors and residents. But there is another side to McAllen's shopping scene that is a well-kept secret…..

I'll be back! jo

No comments:

Post a Comment