McAllen View...

Thursday, July 30, 2009

"Kayaking the Rio Grande"




Our day began at 7:30 a.m. as everyone gathered at the Chamber to embark on our journey to the river. As soon as we got to our destination, I noticed the water looked rougher than I had ever seen. I started to have second thoughts about participating in this outdoor adventure but quickly pushed those thoughts out of my mind. The guides gave us a quick lesson on paddling and the meaning of the different signals to give them while out on the water. Part of the experience of kayaking is that you get to carry your own kayak down to the water...not very happy with this part of it!




After about five minutes in the water we had our first victim. In the water she went jeans and all!! Luckily for her, she was teamed up with the Chamber President....he helped her get back into the kayak in no time. Several other staff members experienced taking a dip in the river as well. The only thoughts running through my head were ...you gotta stay dry....and you gotta stay in the kayak. I think we did pretty good! We had a wonderful time as a team and I can't wait for the next outdoor adventure!

Kayaking in McAllen is awesome!

You have to try it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment