McAllen View...

Monday, July 6, 2009

Phoenix Rising

Hope everybody had a fun Fourth.
I didn't make it to all of McAllen's events, but I did get in the parade and the fireworks. Impressive X2.
Sunday, I thought I'd wander over to the McAllen Nature Center, 4101 W. Bus. 83 ( S. side of Bus 83, just west of Ware Rd) and take a look around. Unfortunately, when I got there, the gates were chained shut and a sign indicated that the Center was closed until September due to construction. I remember visiting the Nature Center back in the late 70's when it was known as the Valley Botanical Gardens. I don't remember a lot of details from that early visit, except that from the parking lot level, you could take a series of trails down a hillside to a lower level. Having been stationed in San Antonio in 1975, I remembered the Japanese Gardens in Brackenridge Park and this sort of reminded me of that. The Botanical Gardens/Nature Center was established in 1962 and encompasses 15-20 acres. The Nature Center contains numerous collections of plants native to or adaptive to the Valley. Other features and facilities include handicap accessible trails, restrooms, pic-nic areas and a parking area.
The park was once a family oriented place that people enjoyed visiting, but a number of years ago, interest waned and the site became a hangout for some of the less savory elements of society. The park was closed for a while as the Parks Department cleaned up the place and the Police increased patrols to deter the illegal activities taking place there. I've heard that one of the reasons for the latest closing is that the old building on-site burned. It also looked like a new road or trail might be under construction. Guess we'll have to wait until September to see the final revision.
Was I disappointed to find the Nature Center closed? Yes. Was it nice to know that the place still exists and someone cares about it? Again, Yes. Will I return in September? Definitely. In the meantime, I can only hope that like the mythical Phoenix, the McAllen Nature Center can emerge from the ashes of it's past and become a gem of nature once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment